On Tuesday, July 2, 2019, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed two Inter Partes Review final written decisions which had invalidated two design patents as obvious under 35 U.S.C. 103. The PTAB determined…
We focus on design and design protection.
The importance of design to consumers and to businesses is paramount. Design is the face of innovation, and design rights are important intellectual property assets. Design is a powerful competitive force and brand differentiator and now, more than ever,
Looks Matter. Legally.®
Design is creative and multidisciplinary and design protection demands deep experience and a thoughtful approach.
At Saidman DesignLaw Group, our expertise is well established and our practice continues at the forefront of design law.
Our practice regularly involves:
- Domestic and Worldwide design patent counseling and portfolio management;
- Protection of product designs across a range of industries, products and services, with substantial experience in consumer electronics, consumer goods, automotive and industrial products;
- Protection of Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs);
- Tough design patent protection issues, including broad protection for overall designs, partial designs and design features, iterative designs, mating designs, replacement parts; and non-traditional designs;
- Consulting for foreign IP practitioners and their clients;
- Appeals of final rejections to the Patent Trial and Appeals Board;
- Design patent reissue applications;
- Responding to refusals in Hague International Design Applications designating the U.S.;
- Conducting and consulting in district court litigation involving design patents;
- Consulting on ITC actions involving design patents;
- Appellate representation of design patent issues before the Federal Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court;
- Inter Partes and Post Grant Review proceedings;
- Consulting and expert witness representation in trade dress litigation;
- Trademark registration and enforcement; and
- Copyright registration and enforcement.
Each year we help domestic and international clients file hundreds of design applications in the U.S. and abroad. See examples of issued U.S. design patents here.
Our dedicated team of design law attorneys and support professionals have great enthusiasm for design and exceptional experience and ability to tackle your toughest design law challenges.
George Raynal is the principal and managing attorney of Saidman DesignLaw Group. George is an experienced patent attorney and his practice covers all aspects of design law, with a particular focus on U.S. and international design…
Perry Saidman is a pioneer in the field of design law, successfully representing clients in ground-breaking cases that have established the enforceability of design patents in court, cases such as Avia Group Int’l. v. LA…
Meera Kamath is an associate patent attorney at SAIDMAN DesignLaw Group, where she specializes in design patent prosecution, copyright and trademark matters, and litigation support. She is a member of the Women in IP Law Committee…
Charles An is an associate patent attorney focusing on design patent preparation and prosecution. Prior to joining the Firm as a full-time associate, he worked as a summer intern, assisting in the preparation of an…
Lindsey Round is an associate at SAIDMAN DesignLaw Group focusing on design patent prosecution. Throughout law school, Lindsey worked with many different start-up companies and entrepreneurs in the New York State Science and Technology Law Center.…
In Advantek Mktg., Inc. v. Shanghai Walk-Long Tools Co., 898 F.3d 1210 (Fed. Cir. 2018), the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit reinforced portions of the Supreme Court’s decision in Samsung Elecs. Co. v. Apple Inc.,…
Jury Awards Plaintiff $3 Million for Design Patent Infringement, Trade Dress Infringement, False Advertising, and Unfair Competition. Perry J. Saidman In Gavrieli Brands, LLC v. Soto Massini (USA) Corporation, a jury in the federal district court of…