The USPTO issued the first derivation certificate for a design patent on November 3, 2021, cancelling the claim, finding it derived from another inventor. Six years after implementation of the American Invents Act (AIA), which went…
We focus on design and design protection.
The importance of design to consumers and to businesses is paramount. Design is the face of innovation, and design rights are important intellectual property assets. Design is a powerful competitive force and brand differentiator and now, more than ever,
Looks Matter. Legally.®
Design is creative and multidisciplinary and design protection demands deep experience and a thoughtful approach.
At Saidman DesignLaw Group, our expertise is well established and our practice continues at the forefront of design law.
Our practice regularly involves:
- Domestic and Worldwide design patent counseling and portfolio management;
- Protection of product designs across a range of industries, products and services, with substantial experience in consumer electronics, consumer goods, automotive and industrial products;
- Protection of Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs);
- Tough design patent protection issues, including broad protection for overall designs, partial designs and design features, iterative designs, mating designs, replacement parts; and non-traditional designs;
- Consulting for foreign IP practitioners and their clients;
- Appeals of final rejections to the Patent Trial and Appeals Board;
- Design patent reissue applications;
- Responding to refusals in Hague International Design Applications designating the U.S.;
- Conducting and consulting in district court litigation involving design patents;
- Consulting on ITC actions involving design patents;
- Appellate representation of design patent issues before the Federal Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court;
- Inter Partes and Post Grant Review proceedings;
- Consulting and expert witness representation in trade dress litigation;
- Trademark registration and enforcement; and
- Copyright registration and enforcement.
Each year we help domestic and international clients file hundreds of design applications in the U.S. and abroad. See examples of issued U.S. design patents here.
Our dedicated team of design law attorneys and support professionals have great enthusiasm for design and exceptional experience and ability to tackle your toughest design law challenges.
George Raynal is the principal and managing attorney of Saidman DesignLaw Group. George is an experienced patent attorney and his practice covers all aspects of design law, with a particular focus on U.S. and international design…
Perry Saidman is an acknowledged pioneer in the field of design law, having practiced in the field for over 30 years (he was in fact the very first patent attorney to use the phrase “design law”…
Meera Kamath is a partner with SAIDMAN DesignLaw Group, where she specializes in design patent prosecution, copyright and trademark matters, and litigation support. She is a member of the Women in IP Law Committee of AIPLA…
Charles An is an associate patent attorney focusing on design patent preparation and prosecution. Prior to joining the Firm as a full-time associate, he worked as a summer intern, assisting in the preparation of an…
Lindsey Round is an associate at SAIDMAN DesignLaw Group focusing on design patent prosecution. Throughout law school, Lindsey worked with many different start-up companies and entrepreneurs in the New York State Science and Technology Law Center.…
Saidman DesignLaw Group is pleased to announce the promotion of colleague Meera Kamath to partner. Meera joined the firm as an associate in 2014 and was promoted to senior associate in 2020. Meera is a dedicated and experienced IP…
We are proud to share that our law firm has been recognized again as a top U.S. firm for design patent procurement. We are grateful for support from our clients, entrusting us to work on their…